Skillet Potato, Tomato and Egg Bake with Cilantro Jalapeno Pesto



I stuck to my word and have created a recipe to start using up the cilantro, walnut and jalapeno pesto I posted a couple of days ago. I did not have time to grocery shop for dinner today and had to get creative with what I had in my refrigerator. 

I had the perfect ingredients to make a one skillet meal that consisted of a protein, starch and vegetable. This meal took all of about 15 minutes to make and it turned out delicious.

I recommend this dish be cooked from start to finish in a cast iron skillet. I recently bought one at an antique fair and have fallen in love with it. However, if you do not own a cast iron skillet, this dish will be just as great cooked in a regular  skillet.

I will try to create at least one more recipe that uses the pesto, but if I don't get around to it I will be making this dish over and over again to use up the pesto because it is that delicious.


Skillet Potato, Tomato and Egg Bake with Cilantro Jalapeno Pesto:

1/2 cup fingerling potatoes, halved
3 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 egg
1 tablespoon scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro jalapeno pesto (recipe link below)
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat the skillet on medium high heat.
  3. Cook the fingerling potatoes until tender, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the tomatoes, scallions, pesto, salt and pepper. Cook for about one minute.
  5. Create a well in the center of the skillet and crack the egg into it.
  6. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the egg is cooked to your liking.

Yield: 1 serving
Calories per serving: 251 calories


Comments

Popular Posts