Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops



I try to cook mostly low fat and low calorie meals, but my boyfriend was over my house for dinner the other night and I decided to make a special decadent meal for him.

This was one of the most delicious scallop dishes I have made in a while. The bacon that always accompanies a traditional carbonara also pairs so well with scallops. I decided to use egg noodles in this dish because I like the thickness and richness of them compared to spaghetti noodles.

This dish is perfect to make when having party or if you just want to make a special dinner like I did. I served it with my garlic and herb pita bread and a nice green salad. My boyfriend was a very happy man once he finished this meal.


Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops:
(original recipe from: http://artandthekitchen.blogspot.ca)

16 large scallops
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 slices thick cut bacon, diced
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, whole
4 scallions, chopped
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup cream
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
pappardelle pasta
salt and pepper
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente and drain.
  2. In a small bowl mix together the cream, egg yolks and 3/4 cup of the parmesan.
  3. In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp. Add the shallot and the scallions.
  4. Add the garlic to the bacon. Turn off the heat, remove the clove of garlic and begin to cook the scallops.
  5. Salt and pepper both sides of the scallops. 
  6. Heat a large skillet and add the olive oil.
  7. Add the scallops and cook for about 4 minutes on one side. Flip the scallops and add the butter. Cook for another 4 minutes, or until the scallops are cooked through.
  8. Turn the heat back on for the skillet with the bacon and add the pasta to the skillet. Once the pasta and bacon mixture is reheated transfer to a large bowl and stir in the cream mixture. Serve 3-4 scallops over each serving of the carbonara and sprinkle each serving with the remaining parmesan cheese.

Comments

Popular Posts