Citrus Basil Quinoa Salad



I was at a complete loss of what to make for my lunch today. I usually turn to my usual strawberry balsamic salad or spinach, banana and almond smoothie. But, today I wasn't in the mood for either, so I decided to turn to Pinterest to help me figure out my lunch.

I follow the blog Detoxinista and found a recipe from the blog that I had pinned a while ago. I had all of the ingredients and decided that the recipe sounded delicious and nutritious enough for my lunch today.

Made with fresh basil from the garden and fresh squeezed orange juice, this quinoa salad is so refreshing and colorful. You can add whatever veggies you have on hand. The original recipe called for diced bell peppers, but I substituted cherry tomatoes instead. Add as many or as little variety of veggies you desire.


Citrus Basil Quinoa Salad:
(original recipe from: http://detoxinista.com)

1 1/2 cups quinoa
3 cups water
1 cup Orange Basil Dressing (recipe below)
1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
salt and pepper

Orange Basil Dressing:

1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon honey
  1. Combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook until all of the water has been absorbed.
  2. To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until combined.
  3. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl. Add in the chopped vegetables and the dressing. Season with salt and pepper and mix everything together. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts