Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread



I needed to make a homemade cornbread for a stuffing for acorn squash tonight (that recipe will be coming soon!).


You all know how obsessed I am with pumpkin, so I thought a pumpkin cornbread would be amazing to use in a stuffing. I am happy to say that pumpkin cornbread is just as amazing and delicious as I thought it would be.


This cornbread is moist in the center and crunchy on the edges, the perfect texture for a cornbread I think. It has a great cornmeal texture and flavor, but is also semi sweet from the pumpkin.


I am so happy that I have half a loaf leftover for me to nibble on the next few days. The next time you are in a cornbread mood, make sure you bake this unique, delicious and healthy pumpkin cornbread!

Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://committoquality.wordpress.com/)

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cornmeal, white whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, pumpkin puree and coconut oil.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until completely combined.
  5. Spray a loaf pan with coconut oil cooking spray and transfer the cornbread mixture to the pan. Smooth the top.
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Comments

Popular Posts