Single Serving Healthy Coffee Cake



There is nothing better than an easy to make individual breakfast cake on a Sunday morning with a warm cup of hazelnut truffle tea.


This little cake tastes exactly like a decadent coffee cake, but without all of the sugar and oil. The oil is replaced with apple sauce and I replaced the sugar with stevia. The only oil and sugar in this recipe are a small amount of coconut oil and brown sugar in the topping.


You know I love to add as much protein as I can to my breakfasts, so I topped this cake with some Greek yogurt mixed with a little bit of peanut butter. It was a delicious topping, but you can easily eat this cake the way it is.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning to be here already so I can yet again enjoy this cake for breakfast. I hope you enjoy it tomorrow too!

Single Serving Healthy Coffee Cake:
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/)

1 tablespoon applesauce
2 stevia packets (or 1/2 tablespoon sugar)
1 egg white
2 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Topping:

1 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. In a small bowl whisk together the applesauce and stevia until combined. Mix in the rest of the ingredients until well combined.
  3. Pour the batter into a small ramekin or mug. In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients and spread evenly over the top of the cake batter. 
  4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through. 
  5. You may be able to bake this in the microwave. I have not tried it but I think it may work if you put it in the microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds and keep cooking on 30 second intervals until cooked through.

Comments

Popular Posts