Healthy Rainbow Slaw


I am currently obsessed with this coleslaw that I decided to try as a side dish a few nights ago. I only made half of a batch, hoping that most of it would get eaten and I have now almost finished an entire batch by myself.


This coleslaw is extremely healthy and crisp. I have been enjoying it every day for lunch for the past 3 days and I am still not sick of it. It is loaded with fresh and healthy veggies and only a small amount of mayonnaise mixed into the dressing.


The original dressing recipe for this slaw called for 1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise! I would certainly not be able to enjoy this dish for 3 days in a row with that much mayo in it. I decided to replace half of the mayo with non-fat Greek yogurt and you will never be able to tell that this decadent and creamy dressing is half very healthy.


I got the most gorgeous head of purple cabbage at my local farmer's market and it makes this dish so appealing to the eye. I love all of the bright colors that make this coleslaw very pretty and full of vitamins. The purple cabbage also turns the white dressing a very pretty violet color which I embarrassingly love.


You have to make this slaw at your next burger or barbecue night. It would go great on a burger or as a side dish. I served it with this soy cilantro beef recipe and it was an amazing and simple weeknight dinner. Enjoy!


Healthy Rainbow Slaw
(recipe slightly adapted from: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew)

Dressing:

3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt to taste
  1. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl until combined and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
Slaw:

1 head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
8 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 bag matchstick carrots
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix in the dressing. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for about 3 days.

Comments

Popular Posts