Risotto with Scallops and Squid


I'm going to start this post off by saying do not be afraid of the name of this dish!!! I had only ever had squid fried at restaurants and I had never cooked with it before. After trying this dish I have found that squid is delicious even when it is not fried and it is so easy to cook.


As I have mentioned in previous posts I have started to go to my local indoor farmer's market again now that the weather is getting warmer. The beauty of living in Rhode Island is that I have access to wonderful fresh seafood. At this particular market there are multiple vendors selling their freshly caught seafood.


I bought both the scallops and squid at the farmer's market and it was so unbelievably fresh and delicious. Pretty much anything is going to taste good when it's added to a risotto and the squid is no exception. It takes on the taste of the smoky paprika and tomato paste and this entire dish is so hearty and satisfying.

You are going to love this risotto dish, even if you don't believe me, just give it a try. I'm sure it will convert you to a fresh squid lover! I can't wait to go back to the market again this weekend and get some more fresh and local seafood to see what recipes I can create with it. Enjoy!


Risotto with Scallops and Squid:
(recipe adapted from: http://www.foodandwine.com/)

1 cup arborio rice
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 pound squid, cut into 1/4 inch rings
3/4 pound scallops
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt and pepper
  1. In a large saute pan heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of the scallops and place them in the skillet. Cook on one side for 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
  2. Add the remaining olive oil to the same skillet and add the onion, garlic, paprika and tomato paste to the skillet. Let cook for about 1 minute and stir in the rice. Let the rice toast for about 2 minutes and pour in the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
  3. Add the squid rings and scallops into the risotto mixture. Cover and cook for about 2-3 minutes. You do not want to overcook the squid or scallops.
  4. Spoon the mixture into bowls and garnish with some fresh parsley, if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts