Why I Love Local Farm Fresh Eggs


How beautiful are the eggs pictured above! I was very excited when I picked up my local farm eggs this morning from The Mission Farm in Wakefield, Rhode Island and discovered a beautiful light blueish green egg mixed in with the classic colored eggs.


When I cooked up my eggs for lunch today, I decided to use the blue one and a regular colored one. Can you guess which yolk came from the blue egg? Yes, it's the gorgeous dark orange yolk that tasted just as delicious as it looks.


I pick up a fresh batch of eggs laid by very healthy, happy and local chicken about twice a week. I go through a few eggs a day because I love to have them for lunch topped with some salsa and served with a side of veggies.


To me, there is almost nothing better or more satisfying then buying local eggs straight from the farm. First off, the eggs have an incredible fluffy texture when you cook them and you can tell that they are just more fresh than store bought eggs.

Buying from the farmer is also such a rewarding experience. You know exactly where your money is going. You are helping your local farmer continue to do the wonderful job that they do by providing you and the community with fresh and healthy food.


I am loving my little window garden almost as much as I love my eggs. It is expanding every day because I now have an obsession with using empty jars and egg cartons as planters. I have some lettuce, chives and cilantro planted in the egg carton, a garlic clove is in the empty sunflower seed butter container and radishes and green bean seeds were just planted in the other two planters yesterday.


In my other window I have parsley, basil, rosemary, mixed lettuce, chives and some more cilantro. I think I may end up with an over abundance of chives and cilantro this year, but I'm sure I'll find some way to use most of it (hopefully). 

Well, I think I have now driven my point home that you should definitely try to find a local farm or residence that sells eggs laid by their chickens and go buy some! Trust me, once you buy local eggs, you'll never want to buy them in the grocery store ever again.

Comments

Popular Posts