Blueberry Coffee Cake


This blueberry coffee cake is absolutely beautiful and delicious! I was looking for some sort of a blueberry recipe to use up some blueberries I had and this coffee cake was the perfect way to use them up.


I have many memories of coffee cake always baking in my house while I was growing up. My mom always used the same great coffee cake recipe and was always baking it for us and to give to friends. Coffee cake is certainly one of my favorite breakfasts thanks to that recipe.


The traditional coffee cake recipe that my mom always used called for sour cream, but I didn't have any on hand when I went to bake coffee cake. I found a blueberry coffee cake recipe that didn't call for sour cream, and I was a little worried that the cake wouldn't come out as good.

After almost scrapping the whole coffee cake batter after it mixed up super thick (way thicker than what I thought it would be), I decided to see what it would bake up like. This cake came out surprisingly fluffy, moist, sweet and crumbly! Everything you want in a perfect piece of coffee cake. Needless to say, this recipe is a big time keeper. Enjoy!


Blueberry Coffee Cake:
(original recipe from: http://creampuffsinvenice.ca/)

Cake:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fresh blueberries

Streusel:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a Bundt pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and oil. Make a well in the center and add in the eggs, oil, milk and vanilla. The batter will become very thick. Fold in the blueberries as best you can without crushing them.
  3. Transfer the batter to the Bundt pan. In a small bowl mix together the butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Sprinkle the streusel all over the top of the cake batter and bake for 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
  4. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and turn the cake out on a cooling rack. Let cool slightly and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts