I'm Back With a Granola Recipe!



This is my first post in a very long time! Every time I try to stay up to date with this blog, I end up moving to a new state or starting a new graduate program and fall behind. My sincerest apologies for my very long absence. 



I have been living in Portland, Oregon now for almost a year and I am beginning my final semester of the Masters of Science in Nutrition program at the National University of Natural Medicine. Living in Oregon and attending this program have both been a dream come true and experiences of a lifetime! I have learned more than I ever dreamed there was to learn about nutrition and being surrounded by health conscious peers in Oregon has enabled me to be fully enveloped in this experience. I do not plan on moving back to the east coast after I graduate, as I have fallen completely in love with the west coast and have no desires to leave.


Granola is a very appropriate recipe to have on hand while living in Oregon. I start most days with a bowl of Greek yogurt, fruit and granola to get through classes, homework and workouts. It's also great to have batches of granola ready to bring on hikes. Spring is in the air here and I have been starting to get out to the Columbia River Gorge more often to hike the amazing trails out there.



This granola recipe was inspired by the recipe in the cookbook "Super Natural Every Day" by Heidi Swanson. Her cookbook is beautiful and full of healthy and hearty recipes. It is one of my favorites to refer to when I feel like having a morning baking in the kitchen or want to meal prep some healthy lunches for the week. I highly recommend it!


Ok, enough with the updates and onto the cooking! I hope you enjoy this recipe and that it fuels you as much as it fuels me to conquer the day ahead!

Conquer the Day Granola:
(recipe adapted from: "Super Natural Every Day" by Heidi Swanson)

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cardamom 
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2/3 cup raisins
  • zest of 1 orange
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 300° F. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray (I used coconut oil non-stick spray).
  2. Combine the oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, shredded coconut, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, raisins and orange zest in a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a small saucepan melt the butter and maple syrup together over low heat. Whisk and pour into the mixing bowl. Stir until the butter mixture fully coats the oat mixture.
  4. Spread the oat mixture onto the baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the granola is golden brown. Let cool completely. Store in an air tight container at room temperature.

Comments

Popular Posts