Strawberry Ginger Switchel



I had my first Healing Foods II class and practicum last week and the topic was fermentation! Fermented foods are basically magical for your digestion and gut health. The good bacteria that live in your gut love to be supported and further populated with more good bacteria and regular consumption of fermented foods help to support this process.


I have now developed a slight obsession with wanting to ferment and pickle all of my own foods and fill my kitchen countertops with jars full of bubbling, alive, fermented goodness. This week I plan on attempting to grow my own sourdough starter and I am currently waiting on an order of jars to arrive so I can start to fill them with pickled and fermented vegetables.

While looking for fermented recipes online, I came across this switchel recipe and happened to have all of the ingredients to make it!


This strawberry ginger switchel recipe was one that I found on recipestonourish.com. I had never heard of a switchel before, but thought the recipe sounded refreshing, healthy and delicious, which it is!

A switchel is a drink that has digestive and anti-inflammatory benefits. The apple cider vinegar in the recipe may sound odd and intimidating, but the ratio of vinegar to water dilutes it enough that it does not overpower the drink. Apple cider vinegar is great to consume before a meal or right when you wake up in the morning to get your digestive juices flowing. The ginger included in this recipe also helps to reduce inflammation. Enjoy!

Strawberry Ginger Switchel:
(original recipe from: recipestonourish.com)

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (raw with "The Mother")
  • 1/3 cup organic maple syrup
  • 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup organic strawberries, sliced (I used frozen)
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 8 cups filtered water
Instructions:
  1. Add all of the ingredients to a large jar or pitcher with a lid and shake or stir to combine.
  2. Store in the refrigerator.
  3. When ready to drink, strain the liquid into a glass and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts