Pistachio Lemon Bars



There are few things more delicious than citrusy, light, airy and fresh lemon bars made from scratch. I hadn't made lemon bars in years and when I found this recipe on the NYT Cooking website I immediately knew I had to make them!

What stood out to me with this recipe was the addition of pistachios. I had never made lemon bars with any other extra ingredients, but I don't think I will ever make them WITHOUT pistachios again! They add such a great nutty flavor to the bars and work perfectly in the crust. Do not leave them out! Even if you have to shell them like I did.


These bars are perfect for spring and summer. They are a crowd pleasing recipe that you can make to bring to a BBQ or backyard get together! I mean, who doesn't love a lemon bar?

One warning about these bars: If you are trying to avoid sugar or lose some winter pounds, maybe you should hold off on making these. They are absolutely delicious and way too addicting. I've had to use a lot of self control to prevent myself from eating the entire pan. Just saying.


Lemon Pistachio Bars:
(Original recipe from: www.cooking.nytimes.com)

Ingredients:
  • Crust:
    • 1 cup all purpose flour
    • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
    • 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
  • Filling:
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    • 1 large lemon, juiced
    • 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped
    • powdered sugar, for topping
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or tin foil. (I lined a round baking dish with tin foil that I sprayed with coconut oil).
  2. Place the flour, powdered sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until combined.
  3. Add in the butter and process until well combined. Add in the pistachios and process until the pistachios are incorporated.
  4. Press the crust into the prepared pan. I wet my fingers with a little bit of water and use them to press the dough evenly into the pan.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. 
  6. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, baking powder, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice and pistachios until well combined.
  7. Pour into the prepared crust and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until set. Let cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then pick up the lemon bars with the parchment or tin foil and place on the counter. Carefully remove the lemon bar from the foil and place on a cooling rack.
  8. Once fully cool, top with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. Slice and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts